Counterfeit Cisco or Fake Cisco WIC-1ENET: the counterfeiters get better
The Andover Test rolls on to look at how to tell a fake or counterfeit WIC-1ENET from a real WIC-1ENET. There are fewer easily distinguishable points but nonetheless obvious pointers.
Look at the two Cisco WIC-1ENET cards below. Can you tell the real from the Fake or counterfeit card?
Not sure? Can't figure out what points to look at? Then keep reading!
But before you do,BOOKMARK this page as the "Andover Photo Test for Real/Fake Cisco WIC-1ENET ". Avoid claims: bookmarking this page will save you time and money.
| | | |
The Excuse section
(or why someone will claim they don't need the test!)
Does everyone know that they are selling counterfeit? Yes and no. Yes, they know but believe that you will not know. And no, because they were uninformed when they acquired the counterfeit card.
So ask them to take the Andover Photo Test! Those that most often sell counterfeit or fake cards refuse to take the Andover Photo test by saying
The WIC-1ENET counterfeits and other Cisco counterfeits or Cisco fakes have similar attributes. For example, the RJ45 jacks are a great starting point for all COUNTERFEIT / FAKE versus GENUINE comparisons. Learning how to recognize a counterfeit WIC-1ENET will teach you some of the basics to .
"The Andover Photo Test" - How to tell a counterfeit WIC-1ENET
0.1 Use this photograph for following ANDOVER PHOTO TEST.
Below are the SIX POINTS of the WIC-1ENET ANDOVER PHOTO TEST. Some counterfeit cards will have some of the attributes; none have all the marks of GENUINE. These are:
The WIC-1ENET "Andover Photo Test":
1. FRONT OF CARD: Font should not be thin nor easily scratched off. The front metal plate should not be shiny but should be somewhat fuzzy. Too shiny with thin letters indicates counterfeits. Also, look for the "thin extra lip" at the bottom of the RJ45 jack. No genuine Cisco has this lip.
1.1 Front of card comparison
On the front of the counterfeit card, observe:
Note that the real or Genuine Cisco WIC-1ENET has:
2. EMBEDDED NUMBERS IN THE METAL: Most fake Cisco WIC cards do not have any numbers embedded in the metal. In the photo, the numbers are to one side on the left card. Sometimes the embedded number may run the length of the top of the metal.
2.1 Embedded number comparison.
3. COPPER ON THE CARD: Below are two photographs comparing different parts of the card. Again, if you see copper where silver should be, you have a counterfeit card.
3.1 Copper point comparison
3.2 Copper vs. Silver point comparison
4. BAR CODE - SERIAL NUMBER: The next shots are close ups of the serial number tags on the WIC-1ENETs.
4.1 Serial number / Bar Code Comparison
Note the differences in the serial number tags. Unlike other Cisco products, the Serial number stickers are white. The bar code should touch the top of the sticker. If there is any space, the card is counterfeit.
5A. RJ45 JACK POSITION : The GENUINE RJ45 jack has three attributes: a. Stewart, b. High - low connectors and c. should stick out of the card between 1/32" to 1/16' of an inch. We have observed more. Most important is that the RJ45 jack should not be flush with the card. Close up photographs of the front of the cards are below.
5B. STEWART: STEWART in the center of the Jack is required. The connectors must also be high on the left and low on the right. Below shows a counterfeit RJ45 jack. Note also the mid-mid connectors and the extra lip on the bottom.
5.1 Counterfeit WIC-1ENET Jack - GLG
The STEWART test is only conclusive in one way: if it does not say STEWART it is a counterfeit. However, seeing STEWART that does not mean the card is genuine Cisco. Many counterfeit cards now say STEWART.
Here is the example of a counterfeit WIC-1DSU-T1 card that reads "STEWART".
5.2 Counterfeit WIC-1DSU-T1 with STEWART
5C. HIGH - LOW RJ45 CONNECTORS: While this is the same photo as above, focus on the connectors. Sometimes you will only have a glance at the connectors in a photo to make a determination if the card is real or counterfeit. Note that some counterfeits coming out have hi-low connectors.
5.3 Front of card key point comparison
6. HOLOGRAM: At the moment, the best indicator of a genuine WIC-1ENET is the presence of a hologram. The photo below shows the comparison of a card with hologram and a counterfeit card without one.
Quiz: can you recognize the difference?
Now that we have shown the difference between Genuine and Counterfeit. Click on the link below and see if you can see which of these items on eBay are legitimate and which are counterfeit.
Add your story to this page
Andover will publish and acknowledge any more counterfeit stories (and photographs) of counterfeit Cisco products. Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. /p>
Copyright © 2002-2017 NetworkTigers, Inc.